2013 HHSO Youth Concerto Competition
Since 2000, the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra has sponsored a Youth Concerto Competition. Its purpose is to provide talented young musician the opportunity to perform standard orchestral repertoire from memory before an audience.
This next competition will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2013, St. Luke's Episcopal Church,
Hilton Head Island at 1:30 pm.
2012 Prize Winners
HHSO Youth Concerto Competition Guidelines
Musicians who play orchestral instruments (excluding piano), age 18 or younger who have not graduated high school are eligible. Previous prize winners, who have or are scheduled to solo with the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra, are not eligible. New this year: MUSICIANS MUST RESIDE PERMANENTLY IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATES: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA.
Piece The selection must be a recognized solo (single instrument only) with orchestral accompaniment (not an arrangement, transcription or student work), even if not properly titled 'concerto,' and it must be a work for which score and parts are currently available. It MUST be a minimum of 6 minutes and a maximum of 14 minutes with the competitor performing the preponderance of the time. The selection may be edited to meet the time limit. The competition reserves the right to require cuts to fit available time for the finals.
Contestants are required to register on line by October 15, 2012. Registrants must submit a complete application electronically, or by US Mail with a postmark date no later than November 1, 2012.
The panel will consist of HHSO Concertmaster, Terry Moore, and two other professional musicians.
First Prize - $1000 and a solo performance** with the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra
Second Prize - $500 – Possible performance opportunities on Hilton Head
Third Prize - $300 – Possible performance opportunities on Hilton Head
All Other Finalists – $100 honorable mention award
*Any or all of the prizes will be awarded at the discretion of the Judges. **Repertoire, dates, and times of the solo performances will be at the discretion of the HHSO Music Director.
The Application Process
Registration Applicants must register on-line by October 15, 2012. A confirming email with detailed application instructions will be sent electronically when the registration has been received. No registrations will be accepted after the deadline. No packages will be accepted from applicants who have not registered on-line.
A completed application is to be mailed to:
HHSO Youth Concerto Competition
c/o Joseph Gimbel
21 Lighthouse Road #598
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
Please use a US Mail service WITHOUT signature confirmation.
(We will confirm receipt of your completed application via email by November 5, 2012.)
Your Application Package must include:
- A check for $35 made payable to the HHSO.
- A CD of your performance with piano accompaniment. (We can accept mp3 uploads. Email us for details.)
- Signatures by, you, your parents and your private teacher which authorize your participation and allow us to use your application materials to promote the competition. (We will email you the forms.)
- Three (3) 8 ½ x 11, full size, photocopies of your music piano accompaniment, or a pdf file of the music attached to an email.
- A two paragraph resume (preferably a doc file) of your musical and non-musical accomplishments (attached to an email.)
- A current photograph (preferably a jpg file) of the applicant with their instrument for use in press releases (attached to an email.).
- You will receive detailed instructions for preparing your application once all of your registration materials have been received
Finalists will be selected by a blind screening of the submitted CD. All applicants will be notified of the finalist selection via email by December 15, 2012. Non Finalist may request a written evaluation. All finalists will perform the selection submitted in their application, with their own accompanist on Saturday, February 2, 2013. Finalists must perform from memory.
For further information contact, Mr. Joseph Gimbel, Competition Director at firstname.lastname@example.org